Meanwhile, the blogging autocannon that is Rixx Javix has fired off a related post citing TheMittani.com as the cause of a perceived decline in the Blogosphere population. It's an interesting line of thinking, but as a medical clinician I'd like to take a more pragmatic approach and look for some differential diagnoses before claiming civilian casualties in The Mittani's media war on EVE News 24.
It is true that some notable EVE bloggers have gone dark of late, either announcing their retirement or just quietly ceasing output. Nashh Kadavr, EVE Scientist, Kaeda Maxwell and Corelin to name a few. But that is the way of things. Each has their own reasons for leaving, but also a game like EVE, whose history spans a decade, is likely to outlive the interest of all but the most hardened of addicts. Equally, the very fact that EVE has been around for so long is testament to the fact that new players join or old players return.
EVE Newb after being dark since 2010. Alexia Morgan, founder of EVE-Bloggers and the Open university of Celestial Hardship has returned to the fold and is interested in reclaiming his creation. We've seen several promising new blogs start up over the last year too (Crossing Zebras, Low Sec Lifestyle, Flying Silent, The Gallente Blaster Cannon etc.), so the revolving door continues to spin.
I think TheMittani.com is a magnificent thing. There is regular, high-quality content to be found there and, as Rixx says, several bloggers are focusing the lion's share of their efforts on providing material there, Marc Scaurus amongst them. EVE News 24 continues to deliver and has even had a facelift to keep up with the Joneses.
But that doesn't mean that all that there is to say has been said. Far from it. Not every blogger will be producing material that fits a commercial news site. As new bloggers hone their craft, they may not feel ready for the challenge but may aim to contribute in the future. It's all part of the same grand ecosystem. Bloggers are a unique breed and I'm sure a community of independent blogs will continue to thrive in the EVE metasphere.
In the latest edition of EON Magazine, I wrote an article about the EVE blogging community and the Blog Banters. In it, I said this:
Taking it on the Chin
So I don't think it's time to go all Chicken Little quite yet. The sky is not falling and TheMittani.com has not “killed the Eve Community”, it's just joined it. Whilst Rixx observes that there has been a decline in blogging, I can see a number of other possible explanations for this. The current EVE development cycle of refinement and polish is perhaps less inspiring to some and there may be slight decline in general interest in EVE (particular from more creatively-led bloggers), which would naturally influence many parts of the community. Also, we are just coming off the traditional Summer hump, where there has always been less activity and interest. Again, this would impact many aspects of EVE. It's just part of the cycle.
But, if the doom-mongers do prove to be right, so be it. Everything has its day. With regard to Marc's discussion, I see little sense in setting up an automated process for any of the community initiatives. If a recharged and enthusiastic individual wants to help out or take over, that's great. But if not, trying to provide artificial life support for any of the services seems pointless – if there's no demand and no interest, let it die.
As Massive Attack once sang in The Hymn of the Big Wheel;
The big wheel keeps on turning
On a simple line day by day
The earth spins on its axis
One man struggles while another relaxes
This topic as it developed (in chronological order):
- Marc Scaurus @ Malefactor - The Future of the Community
- Rixx Javix @ Eveoganda - The Mittani Killed the Eve Community
- Kirith Kodachi @ Inner sanctum of the Ninveah - The Blogging End Game
- Hugh Hancock @ MMO Melting Pot - Is the EVE Online Blogosphere Dying?
- Morphisat @ Morphisat's Blog - Halp The EVE Blogosphere is Dying
- Ardent Defender - Interesting Points of View on the Community
- Firstly @ Flying Silent - Irrational Fear
- Foo @ Foo's EVE Musings - Blogging Community
- Alexia Morgan @ Touring New Eden - The Evolution of EVE Blogging
- Rixx Javix @ Eveoganda - The Morning After & RJ's Reading List
- Marc Scaurus @ Malefactor - Rixx Javix Killed the EVE Blog Pack
- Ardent Defender - Sensationalism, Irrational Fear, Blogging & Drama in the EVE Blogosphere Community
- Parasoja @ EVE-fail - Guys, guys, the EVE blogging community is dying! Aaand...
- Blastradius1 @ Blastrad Tales - Why
- Rixx Javix @ Eveoganda - The Emperor Has No Clothes
- Alexia Morgan @ Touring New Eden - OOC: The Eve Blogodrama
- Rixx Javix @ Eveoganda - First off the block!
- Blake @ K162space - The Mittani Grew the Eve Community
And (hopefully) to finish it all off, Rixx Javix and Marc Scaurus will be duelling with handbags at twenty paces on Podside tomorrow night. Maybe Ripard Teg will just assimilate them into his Borg collective and that'll be the end of it. ;)